Four club members, Ewan Duncan, Colin Duncan, Harry Officer and David Smith played 4 rounds of golf in one day on the 21st June 2009, the official longest day. Teeing off at 5am and having 30-45 mins break between each round, they finished at 8.30pm!
They were raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support and their total was £3195
You can find out more about the challenge here https://www.macmillan.org.uk/get-involved/fundraising-events/longest-day-golf
A message & pictures from the team.
Well, what a day we had! All week rain had been forecast but it turned out a scorcher. Even at 4.30am it was t-shirt weather and it just kept getting hotter.
There was a vast array of good and bad shots as you can imagine in 72 holes but it was indeed a team effort as all of us played our part. 3 things were a must on the day that kept us going – electric trolleys, showers at lunchtime and a pint of cider and ice between rounds!
If you haven’t sponsored us you can still donate online at this address https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ewanduncan
Below are some newspaper articles and pictures from the day.
We would like to say a very big thank you to everyone involved,
- Dufftown Golf Club for letting us hold the challenge on a competition day, donating raffle money from the Forsyth Shield Texas Scramble Open and contributing in many other ways to our total above.
- The club members for kindly letting us play through when needed.
- Janice Smith who provided a much-needed breakfast of bacon rolls and coffee after our 1st round.
- Norma & Anne-Marie Duncan who provided soup and sandwiches for us at lunchtime and a great buffet for everyone at teatime.
- Everyone who donated raffle prizes.
- The Rotary Club of Aberlour and Speyside who donated raffle money and entry fees from a golf day at the club on 10th July.
- Ivan Montgomery who compiled a word puzzle.
- And especially everyone who has sponsored us to help us achieve the fantastic total above.